If you are in the beginning phases of food storage, the whole process can seem quite overwhelming. Especially if you live in an apartment or tiny house; where storage is very limited. But, at the same time you know just how important it is to have food storage. And because of that, you are in the right place! Today we are going to share everything you food storage beginners need to know, to make sure you are able to form your own successful food storage and take care of yourself and loved ones in times of need.
Food Storage for Beginners
Where to Start
Focus on acquiring a 3 month supply of food and water, and follow this fool-proof method to get started.
- Decide on several recipes that are easy to make and that you and your family will eat.
- Break these recipes down into 2-3 breakfast recipes, 2-3 lunch recipes, and 2-3 dinner recipes.
- Buy all the products you would need to make each of these recipes at least seven times. Once you do this, you will already have two weeks worth of food storage!
- Begin steps 1-3 all over again; coming up with several new recipes and getting yourself to the point where you have enough food for 3 months worth of meals.
What to Buy
In the beginning, there is no need to buy a lot at once. Especially if you are on a tight budget. Just buy a little extra every time you go grocery shopping will be great and eventually get you to the point where you have a substantial and abundant food storage.
Here’s a good place to start…
- Canned fruit and vegetables
- Canned meat or meat based meals
- Canned soups and broths
- Spaghetti sauce
- Dried beans
- Peanut butter
- Powdered milk
- Pancake mix
- Spices and Condiments
- Comfort foods and/or treats
- Dehydrated and/or freeze dried foods
Organization and Storage
Sadly, food doesn’t last forever. So it is important to cycle through your food storage. Storing items that are going to expire soon at the front and items that wont expire for a while in the back. Doing this will help you keep track of what needs to be used and ensuring that you use it before it goes bad.
When it comes to storing your food storage, there are a lot of ways you can do this. One way is by using a kitchen panty or storage room in your basement or under your stairs. If those storage options are available to you, you can store your food storage under your bed, in any available cupboard or closet space, or really anywhere else that has a controlled environment.
When it all comes down to it. The best way to begin growing your own food storage is by starting small and buying foods that you and your loved ones will actually eat. By doing these two things you will eventually become a food storage pro!
Also, don’t forget to checkout and download specially curated food storage checklists on the PREPIFY APP!