If you saw yesterday’s post, we shared the best firework safety tips you should follow and keep in mind this upcoming Fourth of July to make sure everyone in your family has and enjoyable and accident free holiday. Today, we thought we would piggy back off of that post and share a fun, safe and very kid friendly firework craft that you can make with your own kids before or even on the day of the Fourth of July that we are calling ‘Firework Fun Bags’. Which are basically cotton draw string bags that your kids can decorate, fill with fun things like Pop Rocks Candy, Pop-Its, confetti canons, sparklers, and then use during your own Independence Day celebrations. This project takes less than 30 minutes to assemble but will keep your kids busy for double that time when they use it. So we hope you enjoy!
Fun (and Safe!) Firework Craft Idea for Kids
What you need
Cotton drawstring bags-Hobby Lobby
Red and Blue Fabric stamp pads-Hobby Lobby
Circular foam paint brushes-Hobby Lobby
U, S, and A Letter stamps- Hobby Lobby
Regular paint brushes-Hobby Lobby
Bag fillers (i.e. pop rocks, confetti canons, etc)-Macey’s Grocery Store. But I also saw all of the items at Walmart too!
Red, white, and blue fabric paint-Hobby Lobby
Plastic table covering
What you do
1) Lay your plastic covering over your table. This firework craft can get a little messy when tiny hands are involved.
2) Place each color of paint in its own bowl and put a few circular foam paint brushes and few standard paint brushes by each bowl.
3) Open up your fabric stamp pad(s) and put your letter stamps next to it.
4) Give each child their own cotton drawstring bag and have them put a cardboard insert in it. NOTE- Doing this will help keep the paint from seeping through the back of the bag.
5) To keep the bags from getting mixed up, take a fabric marker write each child’s first initial on the back their bag.
6) Using the fabric ink pad and letter stamps, have each child stamp out USA on the front of their bags.
7) Have your kids paint firework bursts on the front of their bag by first placing a circular foam brush in the paint and then pressing the brush onto their bag. Next, have them use a standard paint brush to paint brush strokes coming from the center of their circular paint dots that they put on their bag to make them look like bursting fireworks.
8) Put finished bags out of reach and let them dry completely.
9) Once bags are dry, have your kids put a bag of Pop Rocks candy, a confetti canons and 1-2 boxes of Pop-Its.
10) Send kids outside to enjoy firework craft they just made.